This spicy, smoky, cheesy mac and cheese gets great meaty flavor from the chorizo sausage â€“ and a crunchy, slightly sweet cornflake crumb topping.
- All Purpose Flour
- chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- corn flake crumbs
- cured chorizo sausage
- extra sharp cheddar cheese
- jack cheese
- unsalted butter
- Whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 375Â°F. Butter an 8-cup baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook 1 minute less than the package suggests
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium. Add the corn flake crumbs and cook, stirring until the butter is well distributed, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Heat a 5-quart saucepan over medium. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 5-6 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a bowl and add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter to the saucepan. After the butter has melted add the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Bring the milk mixture to a simmer, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan, until thickened, 6-7 minutes. Add the cheddar and jack cheese
- Bake until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly, about 20-22 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.