Make an entire meal—a beautifully browned roast chicken and vegetables—in one pot.
- Course: Dinner
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 4.5-5 pound of whole chicken
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper divided
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 9 ounce package of frozen artichoke hearts thawed
- 12 whole of garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup of dry white wine
- 1 pound of assorted color baby new potatoes scrubbed
- 1 medium of red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 2 celery ribs cut into 2 x 1/2-inch sticks
- 2 carrots cut into 2 x 1/2-inch sticks
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the oil in an Anolon Advanced Bronze 7.5-quart Stockpot over medium heat. Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper and brown in the pan on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the artichoke hearts and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook 1 minute. Add the wine, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by 1/2, about 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, onion, celery, carrots and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 1 minute. Move the vegetables to the sides of the pan and place the chicken in the center. Transfer to the oven and roast until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the thigh without hitting the bone registers 165°F and the vegetables are tender, about 60-65 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.