A delicious alternative to a traditional burger, this easy-to-make chicken breast sandwich is full of flavor and color. Enjoy it for lunch or dinner, with a cucumber or tomato salad on the side.
- chicken breasts
- ciabatta buns
- Dijon Mustard
- ground black pepper
- Gruyere or provolone cheese
- loosely packed arugula
- olive oil
- red bell pepper
- Combine the honey and mustard in a small bowl
- Brush the chicken with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the black pepper. In a medium bowl, combine the bell pepper with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or a grill pan over medium heat until hot. Cook the bell pepper until lightly charred and tender, about 4 minutes per side. Cook the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. During the last minute of cooking time, top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese and cover the pan to help melt the cheese.
- Set the chicken aside to rest. Meanwhile, place the ciabatta buns cut side down in the skillet or grill pan to slightly toast them, about 1 minute. Cut the bell pepper into strips.
- Place the ciabatta bottoms on plates or a platter. Top with the arugula, chicken, bell pepper strips, and honey Dijon and serve.