Cherry Chocolate Chip CupcakesBy PotsandPans Culinary Team
These easy vanilla cupcakes have a cherry and chocolate chip surprise inside. The fluffy chocolate frosting and toppings make them the perfect treat for any party or celebration.
- Yield: 24 cupcakes
- Prep: 20
- Cook: 20
All you need for this recipe and more...
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 – 15.25 ounce vanilla cake mix
- 1 – 3.4 ounce box instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water and cherry juice
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 – 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- 3 teaspoons flour
For the Frosting:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 8 Tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups Cool Whip
- 24 cherries, patted dry
- ¼ cup miniature chocolate chips
- Drain the cherries and save the juice. Add enough water to make 1 cup liquid.
- Place the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, cherry water, and oil in a mixing bowl. Beat on low for 1 minute, then on medium for 2 minutes.
- Dice the drained cherries and stir in 2 teaspoons of flour. Toss the chocolate chips with the remaining teaspoon of flour. Stir the cherries and chocolate chips into the cake batter gently.
- Divide the cake batter into 24 cupcake liners. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- Beat the butter and shortening until creamy. Add the vanilla, salt, and 4 Tablespoons whipping cream. Beat again.
- Stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Slowly beat into the butter mixture until completely combined. Add the remaining 4 Tablespoons whipping cream and beat until light and creamy. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate the tops of the cupcakes with Cool Whip, cherries, and miniature chocolate chips. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Jocelyn Brubaker is the baker and photographer behind the blog, Inside BruCrew Life. She enjoys making simple and creative recipes for her family that turns pre made ingredients into a homemade with flair dessert or dinner. She and her husband Jeremy live in IN with their three children. They enjoy taking coffee breaks, playing Frisbee golf, and going hiking as a family. Get ready to bake, eat, and repeat as she shares life from their kitchen.