These easy vanilla cupcakes have a cherry and chocolate chip surprise inside. The fluffy chocolate frosting and toppings make them the perfect treat for any party or celebration.
- box instant vanilla pudding
- cocoa powder
- Cool Whip
- For the Cupcakes
- For the Frosting
- jar maraschino cherries
- mini chocolate chips
- miniature chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- vanilla cake mix
- Vanilla Extract
- water and cherry juice
- Whipping cream
- Drain the cherries and save the juice. Add enough water to make 1 cup liquid.
- Place the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, cherry water, and oil in a mixing bowl. Beat on low for 1 minute, then on medium for 2 minutes.
- Dice the drained cherries and stir in 2 teaspoons of flour. Toss the chocolate chips with the remaining teaspoon of flour. Stir the cherries and chocolate chips into the cake batter gently.
- Divide the cake batter into 24 cupcake liners. Bake at 325Â°F for 20-22 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- Beat the butter and shortening until creamy. Add the vanilla, salt, and 4 Tablespoons whipping cream. Beat again.
- Stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Slowly beat into the butter mixture until completely combined. Add the remaining 4 Tablespoons whipping cream and beat until light and creamy. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate the tops of the cupcakes with Cool Whip, cherries, and miniature chocolate chips. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.