A new spin on the classic pasta bake. This version substitutes pasta with quinoa for a gluten-free Italian meal.
- fresh mozzarella
- of your favorite meatballs
- of your favorite pasta sauce
- optional: thinly sliced basil
- shredded mozzarella
- uncooked quinoa
- Place the quinoa in a large bowl. Add water to cover. Let soak for 15 minutes. (This is optional, but it helps the quinoa to cook faster.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 3.5-quart oval baking dish or a 9x13 baking dish.
- Rinse the quinoa with water. Then add to prepared baking dish. Add the pasta sauce. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir to fully incorporate.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over quinoa. Then add the meatballs, evenly over cheese.
- Lay the sliced mozzarella over the meatballs, trying to cover the dish completely.
- Place the dish in the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the thinly sliced basil, if desired.