Burger with Caramelized Onions, Asiago and Basil MayonnaiseBy Marge Perry & David Bonom
A juicy burger topped with sharp, nutty melted Asiago, meltingly sweet rich caramelized onion and creamy, and cool basil mayonnaise.
- 80% lean ground beef
- aby romaine lettuce
- balsamic vinegar
- brioche or similar hamburger style buns
- Dijon Mustard
- finely chopped fresh basil
- ground black pepper
- olive oil
- slices Asiago cheese
- thinly sliced red onion
- tomato slices
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown and about 16-18 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and cook 1 minute longer
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, and basil in a small bowl
- Form the ground beef into 4 (4-inch diameter) patties, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and make a 1/4-inch depression with your thumb in each. (This helps the burger cook more evenly). Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium, add the burgers and cook 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Top each burger with 1 slice of cheese and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Cook 1 minute longer until cheese melts.
- To assemble, place top 1/4 cup baby romaine lettuce, 2 tomato slices, burger, and 1/4 of the onions on each bun bottom. Spread the cut side of the top half of each bun with 1/4 of the mayonnaise mixture and set on top of each burger. Serve immediately.