- Yield: Makes 4-6 servings
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 1 pound bucatini pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions; drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the pancetta, onion, garlic, basil and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 12-14 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and salt, bring to simmer and cook until thickened, about 15 minutes. Add pasta and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Divide among serving plates and top with grated cheese.
Adjust the heat in this dish to suit your palate, and if you have a mixed crew of spice lovers and spice-avoiders, simply pass the red pepper flakes and let diners choose.