If the peppers don't stand flat on the surface, make a very thin horizontal cut along the bottom, taking care not to cut through and form a hole.
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces 85% lean ground beef
- 8 ounces bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup packed golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded aged Asiago cheese
- 6 medium assorted color bell peppers, red, yellow, orange, crowns cut off and seeds removed
- 2 cups reduced sodium tomato juice
- Cook the rice with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the beef and sausage
- Spoon the filling into the bell peppers and set then in a Dutch oven or pot just large enough to hold them snugly. Pour the juice into the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the peppers are tender, 28-30 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls and spoon the cooking liquid over the peppers.