Make your own pie crust, or use a prepared crust to make a short-cut version of this savory pot pie.
- beef chuck roast
- Celery ribs
- chopped fresh thyme
- dry red wine
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Flaky Pie Crust
- garlic cloves
- ground black pepper
- low sodium beef broth
- shiitake mushrooms
- sliced white mushrooms
- Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425Â°F. Lightly oil an 8-cup baking dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Season the beef with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and add half to the saucepan. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the saucepan and stir in the mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, parsnip, garlic, thyme and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables as slightly softened, 8-10 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 3-4 minutes. Pour in the broth, bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved beef and any accumulated juices and the Worcestershire sauce. Return mixture to a boil and cook 4 minutes. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch, return to a boil and cook until thickened 1 minute. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking sheet and let cool 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pie crust to be slightly larger than the baking dish. Place crust over filling and decoratively crimp the edges. Pierce the crust a few times with the tip of a knife. Brush with the egg.
- Bake until the filling is bubbly and the top is golden brown, 23-25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.