Spicy Stir-Fried Chorizo and Veggie Breakfast TacosBy Tiffany Azure
20-Minute savory breakfast tacos stuffed with stir-fried chorizo, eggs, and peppers is a quick and healthy way to start the day!
- 1 pound chorizo substitute with ground beef, if desired
- 1 poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 red or white onion diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup yellow or orange bell pepper diced
- 4 serrano peppers seeded and finely diced
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- 8 small taco-sized flour tortillas or white corn tortillas
- 1 avocado mashed
- Lime wedges and salso for serving, optional
- Grease your skillet with oil or butter. Add chorizo and all peppers to the skillet. Sauté over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes, stirring throughout until meat is browned and peppers are tender. Use a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula to stir and break up the meat.
- Gently push the peppers and meat to one side and add eggs to the bare portion of the pan. Allow eggs to cook for about 2 minutes, then incorporate them into the meat and peppers, stirring to scramble the eggs until cooked.
- Sprinkle salt, paprika, and garlic powder over the mixture in the skillet. Reduce heat to low. Start preparing the tortillas while allowing contents in pan to cook.
- Use 1 flour tortilla or 2 corn tortillas per taco. (Tip: If using corn tortillas, warm them in the microwave for about 15 seconds so they will be easier to work with). Spread 1-2 tablespoons of mashed avocado on the inside of each tortilla (just on the inner tortilla if using corn tortillas).
- Spoon stir-fried meat, peppers, and eggs into tortillas. Sprinkle with Cotija cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for drizzling and salsa for topping, if desired.