These ginger molasses cookies are highly addictive. Sugar coated with rich spicy flavor and a soft and chewy texture make these cookies hard to resist. For added crunch roll the cookies in Turbinado sugar instead of granulated sugar.
- Yield: 4 cups (32 ounces) cookie dough
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Dessert
All you need for this recipe and more...
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg , whole
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, for dipping cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, clove, and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter and granulated sugar. Cream on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat to incorporate. Scraping down bowl and beating again to insure all ingredients are incorporated and not lumpy.
- Add molasses and beat to incorporate.
- Add sifted ingredients and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Lastly, add chopped ginger and mix to distribute evenly.
- Wrap and refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 1 hour before baking.
- Scoop and roll 1ounce (2 tablespoons) balls of cookie dough in granulated sugar. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet, leaving 2-inches between them.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-13 minutes