- Cuisine: American
- Course: Side Dish
- fresh garlic
- olive oil
- red potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F.
- To roast the garlic, cut the top 1-2 inches off each bulb of garlic, exposing the tops of the garlic cloves. Loosely wrap each head of garlic in aluminum foil, leaving the top of the garlic head exposed.
- Drizzle about a teaspoon of olive oil over the exposed garlic cloves of each head of garlic. Tightly wrap the aluminum foil over the head of garlic. Place the aluminum foil covered garlic heads in a shallow pan, like a pie plate. Roast the garlic in the preheated oven for 45-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the mashes potatoes, peel the potatoes, cutting them into evenly sized chunks. Soak the potatoes in cold water as you peel the entire five pounds of potatoes. Drain the potatoes and rinse until water runs clear. Place the potatoes in a large pot with 2 teaspoons of salt and enough water to entirely cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook potatoes until fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, open each aluminum wrapped garlic head and remove the roasted garlic cloves with the tip of a sharp knife. Place the roasted garlic into a small bowl and set aside.
- When potatoes are fork-tender, drain them in a large colander and transfer to a large bowl. Beat potatoes with a hand mixer at medium speed for about 3 minutes or until all large pieces of potatoes are gone. Add butter, three fourths of the roasted garlic, remaining salt and pepper to the bowl. Continue beating the potatoes on high speed until the potatoes are creamy and lump free. Add milk and remaining roasted garlic to the bowl. Beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.