Whole wheat flour, oats, seeds and fruit make these hearty but light muffins perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast or an anytime snack.
- all-fruit jam
- aluminum-free baking powder
- apple cider vinegar
- Baking soda
- Fine sea salt
- Ground cinnamon
- maple sugar or organic whole cane sugar
- organic canola oil
- organic soymilk
- pure vanilla extract
- raisins or currants
- rolled oats
- sesame seeds
- whole wheat pastry flour
- Spread the oats on the bottom of an ungreased skillet and toast over medium low heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly golden. Spoon the oats into a heatproof dish and cool. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 375Â°F. Oil the top of a standard muffin tin and line with muffin papers.
- Place a wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt to the strainer and sift into the bowl.
- Stir the oats, raisins and sesame seeds into the dry mixture.
- Combine the soymilk, mashed bananas, maple syrup, oil, vinegar and vanilla in a separate medium bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the dry mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until no traces of the dry ingredients remain. Allow the batter to rest about 30 seconds.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup 3/4 full. Drop about 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the center of each muffin. Do not use more or the muffins wonâ€™t bake through.
- Bake 15 to 16 minutes or until the muffins are lightly browned and firm and a tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean or just holding a few moist crumbs.