Crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside, these easy fried raviolis will please all your hungry football fans. What's more? They look like footballs!
36-40 cheese-filled ravioli
- clove garlic
- coarse salt
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Fresh spinach
- large egg
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- Vegetable oil for frying
- whole milk ricotta cheese
- wonton wrappers
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped fresh spinach and a pinch of coarse salt. Cook and stir spinach until it has reduced to about 1/2 cup. Turn off the heat and stir in garlic. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese and wilted spinach mixture. Add egg, Pecorino Romano, red pepper flakes and salt. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a blender, process can of fire roasted tomatoes until smooth. Transfer to a small pot and heat through.
- Prepare the raviolis. Place a rounded teaspoon of ricotta filling in the center of each wonton wrapper. Dot water around the edges of the square and fold over to make a triangle. Press out any air pockets and press edges to seal triangle. Continue until all filling is used.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat 1-2 inches of vegetable oil over medium heat. When oil sizzles gently when touched with a wooden spoon, begin adding ricotta-filled ravioli triangles to the hot oil. Fry until golden, remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with fire roasted tomato sauce and additional Pecorino Romano if desired. Use caution biting into ravioli, like all fried foods they can be very hot on the inside.