A cake enjoyed in cafes all over France, particularly in the south, is dense and moist, and made using olive oil and almonds â€“ healthily delicious!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- plain flour
- raw almonds
- white wine
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F and position rack in the middle. Lightly oil a spring form pan and line base with parchment.
- Place the flour and nuts in a food processor and pulse on and off until nuts are ground into the flour. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar until light and creamy. Add the lemon zest and then the oil in a few batches, beating lightly after each addition. It will thicken towards the end.
- Whisk in the wine, then gently fold through the flour and nut mixture.
- Using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, and the remaining sugar and beat until glossy, about 1 minute more. Gently fold through the batter.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the outside and remove side of pan. Allow to cool completely before removing base. Store in an airtight container in a cool place or refrigerate. Enjoy with coffee or tea or serve with gelato for dessert.
- Tips & Techniques: