A healthy version of a calamari salad. The calamari is seared and tossed with a fresh Asian style dressing then served over a bed of mixed greens and mint.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Course: Salad
- Dry the squid well on paper towels. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add one piece of squid. If it sizzles, add the remainder and cook over medium high heat, shaking pan, for 1-2 minutes or until just turning opaque. Transfer to a dish.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Wipe the pan clean and add the sesame seeds, toast for 1 minute in dry pan, shaking, taking care not to burn. Add the dressing and remove from heat.
- When sugar dissolves, give a stir and pour over the calamari. Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes, to allow flavors to develop.
- Place greens on plates and top with the calamari, spooning the dressing over all the salad. You can also serve the calamari warm over the leaves, for a quicker alternative. The warm and cool contrast makes the flavors really glow.
Tips & Techniques: Use a mix of arugula, frissee, mint and mache. This dish is delightful with a glass of crisp sparkling wine, such as Cava or a Brut Rose.