Corn chips absorb a savory, somewhat spicy sauce made from well-seasoned, pureed tomatoes and are topped with soft cooked eggs. Perfect for brunch with friends!
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped white onion divided
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Jalapeño Peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro divided
- 5 ounces yellow tortilla chips
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup queso fresco (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup of the onion, garlic, and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in the oregano, cumin, and ground chipotle and cook 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook until slightly thickened, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the broth. Cool 5 minutes and puree in a blender.
- Return tomato mixture to the skillet and warm over medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of the cilantro and gently stir in chips to coat with sauce.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs, cover skillet and cook until whites are set and yolks are set but still slightly runny, about 4-5 minutes.
- Divide tortilla chip mixture among 4 plates and top each with 1 egg. Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup onion, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and cheese if using.