Making a holiday meal can get very stressful! This Stovetop Wild Rice Stuffing recipe is not only simple to make, it is very festive and delicious!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery cut in halves and diced
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage removed from casing
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup rouhgly chopped dried carnberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups cubed bread stuffing
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- Course: Side Dish
- In a large skillet or pot, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until onions have softened and become translucent. Add the diced carrots, red bell peppers and celery and sauté with onions and garlic until they become tender.
- After the aromatics have softened, add the ground Italian sausage, breaking apart with a wooden spoon or spatula. Mix together with the rest of the ingredients until the sausage becomes brown with golden-brown edges. Add the seasonings and stir.
- After the ground Italian sausage has browned, add the dried cranberries and chopped pecans. Stir and heat through. The cranberries will soften a bit. Then, add the bread for stuffing and cooked wild rice. Stir, making sure the rice and bread stuffing heat through. Taste for seasoning.
- Add the chicken stock and stir, making sure the bread softens but still maintains a nice bite. Taste again for seasoning and cook until rice and bread have heated all the way through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Recipe developed by blog partner, cooking personality and recipe developer, Johanna M. Cook, of Momma Cuisine