Grilled veggies add depth to this herb-y wild rice salad. Serve this as a side at your next cookout, or as a simple main dish on a weeknight.
- 1 cup dry wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 5 spring onions halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound asparagus sliced
- 1/2 pound radishes halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro torn
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley torn
- 1/4 cup fresh basil torn
- 1/4 cup fresh mint torn
- sea salt
- Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of salt
- Yield: 3-4 (main dish), 6-8 (side dish) Servings
- Pour the rice into a 2 Qt. covered saucepan and cover with the water and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40-45 minutes, or until the rice is tender and beginning to split.
- Meanwhile, preheat a grill pan or a grill to medium heat. Toss the onions, asparagus and radishes with the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Grill the vegetables until they are tender and grill marks appear, about 4-5 minutes.
- Make the vinaigrette: whisk all ingredients together until blended.
- Toss the rice with the vegetables, fresh herbs and vinaigrette. Serve warm.