Toasted tortillas layered with green enchilada sauce, pepper jack cheese, portobello mushrooms and melted with queso fresco. Top with all your favorite fixings and this easy dish will quickly become your summer favorite.
- For the Enchilada:
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 12 ounces portobello mushrooms chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 whole lime juiced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 3 10-inch flour tortillas toasted
- 10 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup queso fresco
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Optional Toppings:
- 1 cup red onions thinly sliced
- cilantro for garnish
- avocado sliced
- tomatoes diced
- Mexican crema
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Course: Entrée
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- In a large Circulon Momentum Stainless Steel 10-Inch Skillet on medium high heat add in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Once oil is hot, add in diced red bell pepper and sauté for 3 minutes. Add 2 additional tablespoons of vegetable oil and then add in portobellos, Worcestershire sauce, and lime juice. Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until all liquid has fully evaporated.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in garlic and cilantro and cook for two minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate Circulon Momentum Stainless Steel 11.5-Inch Skillet on medium high heat, toast each side of your tortillas. Remember to flip once the blisters start to get golden brown. In a shallow pan or dish add your green enchilada sauce and lightly dip each tortilla in the enchilada sauce for coating.
- To assemble the pie, add just enough enchilada sauce to lightly coat the bottom of your skillet. Place one tortilla in the bottom of the skillet, top with half of the portobello mixture, then one cup of pepper jack cheese. Repeat with one more tortilla, the rest of the portobello mixture, and another cup cheese. Top with a third tortilla, the remaining enchilada sauce, and one cup of crumbled queso fresco.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly on top. Slice and serve with extra green sauce and your favorite ingredients like: thinly sliced red onion, cilantro, sliced avocado, diced tomatoes and Mexican crema.
To follow this recipe exactly, your skillet must be oven safe.