This one-pan meal combines crispy roast chicken pieces with spring vegetables like buttery leeks and peppery radishes. The chicken is slathered with a garlic and cilantro rub for extra flavor.
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil divided
- 1 pound bone-in chicken legs and/or thighs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro divided
- 3 garlic cloves minced, divided
- 1 bunch radishes quartered
- 2 leeks cut into 2-inch segments and split lenthwise
- 8 rainbow carrots sliced
- 4 tomatillos husks removed
- 1 serrano chili pepper
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup water
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 12-inch deep skillet over medium heat; add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook 8-10 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining radishes, leeks, and carrots.
- Combine 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, half of the minced garlic, and the remaining olive oil to form a thick paste; spread over the chicken skin. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, placing them on top of the vegetables, skin-side up. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast 20-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- While the chicken roasts, prepare the salsa verde by combining the tomatillos, serrano chili pepper, lime juice, remaining cilantro, and water in a blender. Blend until smooth. Serve the salsa alongside the chicken and vegetables.