This sauce is not only irresistible on chicken, it pairs up beautifully with grilled salmon and shrimp. Or, use it as a dipping sauce for the shrimp or skewered chicken.
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves about 5 pounds, cut crosswise in half
- Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion choppe
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 fresh peaches about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Yield: 10-12 Servings
- Course: Entrée
- Preheat the grill for medium indirect heat grilling, 350°F to 450°F.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in saucepan over medium. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, cinnamon and ginger; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add the peaches, 1/3 cup of the bourbon, honey and vinegar; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peaches are tender, 15-18 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon bourbon and salt.
- For the chicken, combine the sugar, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a bowl. Rub the mixture over the chicken to coat. Place the chicken, skin side up, on the grill rack over indirect heat. Close the lid and cook 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over and grill 15 minutes longer. Turn the chicken again and brush the skin side generously with the sauce. Close the lid and continue cooking until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chicken registers 160°F, about 5-10 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with remaining sauce.