Quinoa is a high protein, gluten-free, easily digestible and fast-cooking whole grain that takes on flavors beautifully. Here it’s paired with snow peas, sesame and ginger to take on an Asian flair.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for a minute.
- Add the quinoa, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until quinoa is dry.
- Add the water or broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pan, simmering for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and quickly remove the lid, adding the snow peas on top of the quinoa and replace lid. Let sit,undisturbed for 5 minutes. Then remove the lid and check to see if the quinoa is done. Each grain seed will have a little ring.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, along with the sesame oil. Top the mixture with the toasted sesame seeds and serve hot or warm.
Tips and Techniques:
Quinoa, a high protein, gluten-free, and easily digestible grain, hails from South America but takes on flavors from any region. Here it is paired with ginger, sesame and snow peas for an Asian flavor. I’ve used red and white quinoa together for visual appeal but use whatever you can get. You have to rinse and drain quinoa before cooking unless it says that it’s prewashed. I then like to toast it before adding liquid. If you add cooked chopped tofu, chicken or shrimp to this, you’ll have a a complete meal.