This small batch Italian wedding soup is the perfect soup for just two. It’s simple, flavorful and can easily be doubled if needed.
- For meatballs:
- 3/4 cup meatloaf mix pork/veal/beef mix
- 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- For soup:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup small dice carrots
- 1/2 cup small dice celery
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup tubettini pasta
- 6 ounces baby greens (baby spinach, kale or escarole)
- Course: Entrée
- For the meatballs: Preheat oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking liner.
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix together by hand. Roll into 1-inch meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet. Mixture will make about 25-30 meatballs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the meatballs are fully cooked. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the soup: While the meatballs are cooking start your soup base. Place pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for about 10 minutes–until the vegetables are soft but not browned. Add in garlic and let cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in beef and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add in pasta and cook until al dente.
- Place cooked, warm meatballs and greens into the soup and stir to combine. The greens should wilt right away.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese on top if desired.