This easy-to-make pasta dish makes a wonderful romantic meal for two with enough for leftovers. Much of the flavor in this pasta comes from the Italian sausage that’s seasoned with fennel and the sweet sun-dried tomatoes. Depending on your taste, you can go for hot or sweet (mild) Italian sausage.
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound Italian sausage cooked in advanced and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (or 1/2 cup for creamier sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Course: Entrée
- Cook the Italian sausage according to the package instructions. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Set aside.
- Boil water in a large stockpot for the pasta. When the water comes to a rolling boil, add a tablespoon of salt.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al-dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 3 quart sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the pre-cooked Italian sausage slices and sun-dried tomatoes to the pan. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and then strain the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the sauté pan with the sausage and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add the reserved pasta water to the sauté pan and toss the pasta until the water is evaporated.
- Add the heavy cream and toss until the sauce thickens and begins to stick to the pasta. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate the pasta and garnish with chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese.