Show off your stir-frying chops with this delicious, veggie-loaded Chicken and Egg with Black Bean Sauce recipe. This savory and smoky, wok-fried dish is simple enough to whip up for dinner any night of the week, and tastes way better than takeout!
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 8 ounces chicken breast chopped bite size
- 2 large eggs boiled, peeled, and sliced in half
- 1 red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, chopped bite size
- 1 medium onion sliced into half moons
- 2 cups baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon water
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- For the black bean sauce:
- 3 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon chili oil
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- In a wok over medium high heat, add oil and chicken and cook for 3 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Using the same wok, add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add bell peppers and onions to the wok and cook for 3-4 minutes, until vegetables are tender but still yield a soft crunch.
- Return chicken to wok and add spinach and sauce. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and whisk in cornstarch and water mix. Stir until sauce thickens. Add eggs but do not stir (this is just to warm them up).
- Turn the heat off and transfer to a plate.
- Top with sesame seeds and scallions and serve with rice.
Recipe developed for PotsandPans.com by Caroline Phelps at pickledplum.com