With crunchy iceberg lettuce as the “bun” around a turkey patty—plus tomato, onion, avocado, cheese, and ranch sauce—this burger is low on carbs but high in flavor.
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices Jack cheese
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce
- 1 tomato sliced
- 2 thin slices red onion separated into rings
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Course: Lunch
- Combine the ranch dressing, mayonnaise, and sour cream in a small bowl; add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Slice a 4-inch-wide “lobe” off the top of one head of lettuce (this will be one half of a lettuce “bun”). Slice 3 more lobes off the sides of the head. Repeat with the second head of lettuce; set the lettuce “buns” aside (save the remaining lettuce for another use).
- Gently combine the turkey, Worcestershire, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Shape the mixture into four patties about 3/4-inch thick.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. (Alternately, heat a grill pan over medium heat and use a paper towel dipped in the oil to lightly oil the grate.) Cook the patties until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. During the last minute of cooking time, top each patty with a slice of cheese and cover the pan to help melt the cheese.
- Place half of the lettuce “buns” on plates or a platter, cut side up. Top with the onion, patties, tomato, avocado, ranch sauce, and remaining “buns,” cut side down, and serve.