This gluten-free quinoa and oat flakes topping is perfect on any kind of fruit crisp. Cornflakes can substitute for quinoa flakes and make the topping extra crispy.
- 2 pounds pitted cherries fresh or frozen, about 6 cups
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup oats regular or quick-cooking
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes or 2 cups cornflakes crushed lightly to 1 cup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Partially thaw cherries if frozen. Cut large cherries into halves or quarters
- Combine cherries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir to mix well.
- In another bowl, mix oats, quinoa or cornflakes, brown sugar, almonds, butter and cinnamon until evenly blended.
- Divide cherries between 6 eight-ounce ramekins or use a 1-1/2 to 2 quart-size baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with crumb topping. Bake 35-40 minutes for ramekins, 40-45 minutes for baking dish. Serve warm or room temperature.
Note: Frozen blueberries work equally well. If fruit is very juicy, stir in 2 teaspoons cornstarch with sugar and lemon juice to lightly thicken juices, if desired.