Make an entire meal—a beautifully browned roast chicken and vegetables—in one pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (4.5 to 5-pound) whole chicken
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts thawed
- 12 whole garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound assorted color baby new potatoes scrubbed
- 1 medium red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 2 celery ribs cut into 2 x 1/2-inch sticks
- 2 carrots cut into 2 x 1/2-inch sticks
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Course: Dinner
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the oil in a 5.5-quart
Chef Pan over medium heat. Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper and brown in the pan on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the artichoke hearts and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook 1 minute. Add the wine, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by 1/2, about 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, onion, celery, carrots and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 1 minute. Move the vegetables to the sides of the pan and place the chicken in the center. Transfer to the oven and roast until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the thigh without hitting the bone registers 165F and the vegetables are tender, about 60-65 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.