This simple, savory pork shoulder is infused with the flavors of bright citrus, plenty of garlic and dried herbs and spices as it marinates overnight. Before a slow simmer with sweet onion and spicy Serrano chilies, the roast is browned to bring out the rich, deep flavors of the meat. Serve it with the lively flavors of the emerald green Parsley-Cilantro sauce. You can make the sauce ahead (it keeps well for several days in the refrigerator) or in just five minutes while the roast cooks. Try to squirrel some of roast away: leftovers make wonderful tacos. Simmer the cooked meat again, this time until the meat is meltingly tender. Shred the pork and serve it in corn tortillas with shredded radishes, sliced white onion, slice Serrano peppers, cilantro and lime juice.
- For the pork:
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 lemons grated zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh
- 2 limes grated zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice fresh
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano dried
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder trimmed, tied
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1 serrano pepper sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth unsalted
- For the sauce:
- 3 cups cilantro leaves fresh
- 2 cups parsley leaves fresh
- 2 tablespoons lime juice fresh
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Yield: 8 Servings
- For the pork: Combine 1/4 cup of the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, lime juice, lime zest, garlic, oregano and cumin in a large zip top plastic bag. Add the pork shoulder, turn to coat and refrigerate 4-24 hours.
- Remove the pork from the marinade and lightly wipe off excess marinade.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a Anolon Nouvelle Copper Luxe 5-Qt Dutch Oven over medium heat until very hot. Season the pork with the salt and add it to the pan; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add the onion and serrano pepper to the pan and cook 2 minutes. Pour in the broth, bring to a simmer, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer gently, turning the roast over once or twice until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 160°F about 1 hour 45 minutes to 1 hour 55 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the pork rest 15-20 minutes. Remove the kitchen twin from the pork before slicing. Serve with the Cilantro-Parsley Blender Sauce.
- For the sauce: Combine cilantro, parsley, lime juice, garlic, oil and salt in a blender; puree. May be made up to 3 days ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator.