Nutty barley makes a great cold weather stand in for Arborio rice in this risotto-like dish. This dish is great for gatherings, and re-heats well.
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks about 3 medium (white and light green parts only)
- 4 ounces Shitake Mushrooms sliced
- 4 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons Chopped fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup Madeira wine
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until leeks and mushrooms are very tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and oregano and cook 2 minutes.
- Pour in the Madeira and cook, stirring, until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add the kale and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the barley and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Pour in 3 cups of the broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover, simmer until the barley is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining broth, uncover and simmer until the barley is tender, 12-15 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, cheese, salt and pepper.