These soft sugar cookies are sweetened with apple cider, giving them a subtle apple flavor. The delightful hint of apple carries over to the brown sugar salted caramel frosting - also flavored with a splash of cider.
- Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Frosting Ingredients
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar sifted
- Yield: 12 cookies
- Cookie Directions: In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, reduce apple cider to ½ cup.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray the wells of a heart molded cookie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter and sugar until well combined. Beat in vanilla, egg, and reduced cider.
- Slowly beat in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly between the wells of the prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are just beginning to brown. Turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Frosting Directions: Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Add brown sugar and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir regularly. When sugar reaches a boil, wait two minutes and then add cider. Continue to stir until the caramel returns to a boil. Remove from heat.
- When caramel is cool enough to touch, mix in powdered sugar and salt until smooth.
- Spread on cooled cookies.