Fresh cilantro, pistachios, and Cotija cheese reinvent the classic basil pesto and serve as a sauce on tender chunks of chicken. Make a double batch of this non-traditional pesto and reserve for use on sandwiches, in pasta dishes and on pizza.
- For the pesto
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 3 cloves fresh garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 1/3 cup shelled and roasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For the chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Course: Entrée
- In an electric food processor or blender, blend cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cheese, chili powder and pistachios. Add ¼ cup of the olive oil and blend the pesto. Add more olive oil until the pesto reaches the consistency you’d like.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat, season chicken with salt and cook until opaque throughout. Transfer to a bowl and return pan to heat. Spoon pesto into hot pan and bring to a simmer. Return chicken to the pan, stir to coat chicken in pesto and serve over rice, pasta, or tucked inside a tortilla.
Recipe developed by food blogger, Heather Cheney, of Heather Likes Food