A fun holiday brunch idea, this easy French toast recipe features a tangy, coconut cheesecake filling and a chunky berry sauce that’s sure to impress everyone.
- Berry Sauce:
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup red raspberries
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berry mixture (a mixture of blueberries and raspberries will yield the best results)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- French Toast:
- 1/2 loaf French bread
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 6 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- additional powdered sugar for garnish
- Yield: 6 Servings
- To make the berry sauce, combine the cold water, raspberries, cornstarch, and granulated sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring until the mixture thickens and turns clear. Stir in the additional 2 and ½ cups fresh or frozen berries and cook for an additional minute or two until the berries start to soften.
- Slice the French bread into six 1 inch slices. Then, using a sharp bread knife, make an additional slice down the middle of each piece, stopping ½ inch from the bottom. Set aside.
- To make the coconut filling, beat together the cream cheese, coconut cream, coconut extract, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the coconut cheesecake mixture in the middle of each piece of bread.
- Beat the eggs with a whisk and then whisk in the milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Pour the mixture into a pie pan or 9”round cake pan . Heat a greased 3 Qt. sauté pan or large skillet over medium heat. Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture for a few seconds, allowing each side to soak up a bit of the egg mixture. Place three pieces of toast in the pan and cook until lightly browned and the center cooked through about 3-4 minutes for each side. Repeat with the remaining three slices.
- To serve, place each piece of toast on a plate and top with a generous helping of berry sauce. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar if desired.