This Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese With Bacon is perfect comfort food for the Holidays! It’s every bit as healthy, as it is rich and indulgent… Plus it’s got bacon! What’s not to love??
- Cuisine: American
- In a 5-Quart Stock Pot, cook macaroni noodles according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a 5-Quart Sauté Pan or Deep Skillet, cook 6 Slices of bacon until crisp. Chop up and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chopped onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until pieces are soft and lightly caramelized.
- Add butternut squash cubes to the onions, along with 2 cups chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to cook until squash is soft, and most of the liquid is reduced.
- Pour squash & onions from the sauté pan into a bowl and add the milk, the rest of the chicken broth, dry mustard, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Now use the immersion blender to purée until it’s completely smooth & creamy. (*If you don’t have an immersion blender, a standard blender will work just fine.)
- Pour puréed sauce back into the sauté pan. Over low heat, add all of the Parmesan cheese and ¾ of the sharp cheddar cheese a little bit at a time, stirring constantly. Then add the Noodles and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped bacon, remaining cheese, and a bit of chopped parsley if desired.