The glazed ham, surrounded by golden apple slices, makes a beautiful centerpiece for your holiday meal.
- Ham: 1 (10-pound) smoked fully cooked shank portion ham half
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle of hard cider
- 1 cup Apple Jelly
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- Apples: 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 golden delicious apples cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- Yield: 12-16 Servings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Trim rind and excess fat from the ham leaving a 1/8-inch thick layer of fat. Place the ham in a shallow roasting pan and pour the hard cider over it. Bake the ham 45 minutes. Brush ham with pan juices and continue baking another hour, basting every 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the jelly, chipotle and garlic powder in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the zest.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F. Brush the ham with 1/2 of the jelly mixture and bake 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining glaze and 15 minutes longer. Remove ham from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
- For the apples, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large nonstick over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the apples and cook, tossing occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup and cook, tossing, 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cut the ham into thin slices and serve with the sautéed apples.