Spicy and crunchy with a hint of sweetness from the caramelized onions, these are vegetarian tacos that even die-hard carnivores love.
- Yield: 12-16 tacos
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Course: EntrÃ©e
- chili powder
- Corn tortillas
- For the Avocado Relish
- For the Tacos:
- fresh lime juice
- pepper jack cheese
- ripe avocado
- Russet or golden potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- small jalapeno
- small tomato
- For the taco filling: Boil the potatoes until al dente. Drain and mash roughly.
- Season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- While the potatoes are boiling, sautÃ© onions in a small amount of oil over medium heat. Cook until tender and golden, adding water to deglaze the pan as needed.
- Add the onions to the potatoes then stir in cheese.
- In another pan, heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil over medium heat. Add corn tortillas to the oil. When the tortillas have softened, spoon potato mixture onto tortilla and fold in half. Fry tacos on both sides until crisp.
- For the avocado relish: Carefully combine all ingredients.
- Serve Tacos with Avocado Relish and Mexican Cesar Salad.