A unique combination of pine nuts, raisins and tomatoes enhances the gusto of the Penne Rigate by adding a surprisingly sweet taste.
- black pepper
- chopped fresh basil
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
- chopped fresh mint
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- garlic cloves
- Italian-style bread crumbs toasted
- Lemon's grated zest
- olive oil
- Penne Rigate
- Pine nuts
- red pepper flakes
- Cook the pasta according to directions.
- Heat the oil in a large sautÃ© pan on medium heat until sizzling, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, raisins and pine nuts. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, parsley, basil, mint, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce. Cook until pasta is coated with the sauce, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Toss the pasta in the pan with the bread crumb mixture. Turn off the heat. Add the cheese and stir well.
- Chef's Tip: To make toasted breadcrumbs, heat up a non-stick pan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs, reduce the heat to low and stir well for 1-2 minutes until the breadcrumbs start to brown. Pour the breadcrumbs in a plate to cool off, until ready to use.