Delicious Bolognese sauce gets a makeover with the addition of ground lamb. Served with fresh pasta and topped with just a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Course: EntrÃ©e
- can whole tomatoes
- celery stalks
- Cloves garlic
- dry red wine
- Ground Lamb
- Parmesan Cheese
- pinch red pepper flakes
- sprigs fresh thyme
- tomato paste
- Whole milk
- Yellow onion
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add ground lamb and start to brown. After the mixture is about half browned, add in carrots, celery and onions. Cook until the vegetables just start to soften and the meat is fully browned.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- To deglaze the pan, pour in red wine and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for about 5 minutes to cook down a little of the red wine.
- Add in tomatoes and break apart in the pan.
- Add in thyme, tomato paste and 2 cups water. Mix together until combined and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer on low heat until the mixture has cooked down and is thick. Add in remaining 2 cups water, repeat process. This in total should take around 2-3 hours.
- Add in milk and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 minutes until thick and delicious.
- Keep sauce warm while pasta cooks. Serve atop fresh pasta with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.