Hereâ€™s a burger for those of you who like it hot, featuring jalapeno, for bright, vernal spice, and chipotle, for smoldering, smoky warmth. Pair it with a cooling beer or lemonade and plenty of napkins.
- Course: Lunch
- 80% lean ground beef
- ground black pepper
- hamburger rolls
- iceberg lettuce
- jack cheese
- loosely packed cilantro
- sour cream
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, and chipotle
- Gently shape the beef into four patties about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or a grill pan over medium heat until hot. Cook the jalapenos, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Cook the patties to desired doneness, about 3 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare. During the last minute of cooking time, top each patty with a slice of cheese and cover the pan to help melt the cheese.
- Set the patties aside to rest. Meanwhile, place the buns cut side down in the skillet or grill pan to slightly toast them, about 1 minute. Thinly slice the jalapenos.
- Place the bun bottoms on plates or a platter. Top with the lettuce, cilantro, patties, jalapeno, chipotle mixture, and bun tops and serve.