Pamper your guests when you serve each their own individual apple tart. Drizzle the sauce over the tarts to serveâ€”and then pass the extra.
- All Purpose Flour
- Cider vinegar
- Cold unsalted butter
- cold vegetable shortening
- Egg yolk
- golden delicious apples
- Ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- Ice Water
- Vanilla Extract
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut the butter and shortening in with a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the vinegar and water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork until a loose dough forms. Knead the dough in the bowl 1-2 times until it just comes together
- Arrange 2 oven racks in the upper third and lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°
- Combine the apples, 4 tablespoons of the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl
- While the tarts bakes, make the sauce. Combine the wine and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to a scant 1/2 cup. Combine the sugar and water in a separate saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves, over medium-high heat. Cook until the sugar is golden, about 7-8 minutes. Remove the sugar from the heat and carefully pour in the wine mixture (it will bubble up). Return to the stove over medium-low heat and simmer, whisking, until slightly thickened, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until melted. Serve sauce over the tarts.