Classic banana pudding is all grown up with homemade vanilla bean bourbon pudding! Layered with fresh whipped cream and served in individual glasses, this comforting treat will be the hit of any party.
- Yield: 4 banana pudding parfaits
- Course: Dessert
- Egg yolks
- granulated sugar
- heavy cream
- Light brown sugar
- Powdered sugar
- vanilla bean paste
- vanilla wafer cookies
- Whole milk
- In saucepan, whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Whisk in milk and bring mixture up to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, light brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.
- When milk mixture comes up to a bubble (it will get very thick), temper 1/3 of the hot liquid into the yolk mixture, whisking continuously.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and continue to cook over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring continuously, until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Add 1 tablespoon of bourbon and continue to cook, whisking continuously until mixture comes up to a boil. Continue cooking for one minute.
- Remove pudding from heat and pour into a bowl. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to assemble parfaits, whip heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer with powdered sugar, remaining vanilla bean paste and bourbon until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble parfaits, place 4-5 vanilla wafers on the bottom of each glass, followed by a layer of pudding, whipped cream and 4-5 slices of banana. Repeat this process one more time to fill parfait glass.
- Top each parfait with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with vanilla wafers.
- Refrigerate pudding parfaits until ready to serve.