I use brown sugar and vanilla to give the filling more richness, and I sprinkle the top crust with cinnamon sugar, which gives the pie such a pretty glitterâ€” and a preview of the delicious filling. Serve Ã la mode with big scoops of vanilla ice cream!
- All Purpose Flour
- Cinnamon sugar
- cold butter
- grated nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- packed light brown sugar
- Paulaâ€™s Flaky Piecrust Dough
- pinch of salt
- Vanilla Extract
- Whole milk
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
- Dust a work surface with a small handful of flour. Roll each disk of dough into a 12-inch
- When you are ready to bake the pie, preheat the oven to 375Â°F. Line the dough in the pie pan
- While the piecrust is in the oven, prepare the filling: In a large bowl, mix together the apples,
- Take the crust out of the oven, but leave the oven on. Remove the beans or pie weights and
- Using a pastry cutter, cut an even number of 1/2-inch strips of the piecrust dough. Place half the strips on top of the filled pie. Weave in the remaining strips by folding every other strip back onto itself and laying another strip perpendicular to it, to create a crisscross pattern. Fold the strips back across and repeat until completed.
- From PAULA DEEN'S SOUTHERN COOKING BIBLE. Copyright Â© 2011 by Paula Deen. Published by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Reprinted with permission.