Fill the crepes with fruit you grill any time of year, rain or shine: grilling adds an extra layer of wonderful caramelized flavor to these dessert-breakfast-anytime crepes.
- Course: Dessert
- All Purpose Flour
- dark rum
- fresh pineapple
- ground nutmeg
- large eggs
- large mango
- Orange Juice
- Packed dark brown sugar
- toasted coconut flakes
- unsalted butter
- Vanilla Extract
- For the crepes: Combine the flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Combine the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Let the batter stand at least 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat a 9.5-Inch nonstick crepe pan over medium heat. Whisk the batter and pour 1/4 cup into the crepe pan, tilting in all directions to evenly cover the bottom. Cook until the crepe is set and very lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn the crepe over and cook 20 seconds longer. Transfer the crepe to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Brush the fruit with melted butter. Heat an 11-inch deep square nonstick grill pan over medium heat. Add some of the fruit and grill in batches until the slices are well marked and tender, 4 minutes per side for the pineapple and mango, 2 minutes per side for the bananas. Cut the fruit into 1-inch pieces and combine in a bowl
- Meanwhile to make the drizzle, combine the orange juice, rum and sugar in a 1 Qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until syrupy and reduced to about 3/4 cup, 25-27 minutes. Remove from the heat and swirl in the butter until melted.
- To assemble: Place a crepe on a work surface and spoon some of the fruit in a line across the lower third. Roll the crepe up jellyroll style, being sure to fold in the ends. Repeat with the remaining crepes and fruit. To serve, place 2 filled crepes onto a plate and drizzle with the rum mixture then sprinkle with toasted coconut.