"For a light fresh start to a meal, or in large glasses for lunch, this gazpacho is best when tomatoes are at their peak."
- 4 tomatoes diced (try heirloom or other full flavored seasonal tomatoes)
- 1 Persian or 1/2 English cucumber diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons vodka (optional)
- Herbed Mascarpone
- 1/3 cup mascarpone (or Crème Fraiche)
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons each snipped chives and chopped basil or mint
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Place all the ingredients except the vodka in a blender and puree until desired consistency. Chill for an hour or overnight. For a smoother soup, strain mixture through a sieve.
- Just before serving, add the vodka and stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning or add more vodka, lemon or salt and pepper as desired. Serve in shooter glasses topped with a dollop of the mascarpone.
- Tips & Techniques
There’s nothing quite like a shot of fresh chilled tomato based “soup” when they are at the height of the season. Experiment with different herbs or add a splash of vodka or wine for an adults-only shooter! I’ve also topped it with a dollop of herbed Mascarpone to give a rich and decadent touch.