Enjoy the health—and flavor!—benefits of this umami-rich seaweed and vegetable salad that is on the table in about 15 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon Awase miso
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 ounce dried wakame seaweed
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas
- 1 cucumber peeled, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Course: Salad
- For the dressing combine the miso, vinegar, orange juice, mirin, zest, oil, honey and sesame seeds in a small bowl.
- Place the seaweed in a bowl and add enough cold water to cover by 1-inch. Let soak 8 minutes; drain and squeeze out excess water. Transfer seaweed to a clean bowl.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the sugar snap peas and cook until bright green, about 1 minute (water needn’t return to a boil); drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Transfer to the bowl with the seaweed and add the cucumber, bell pepper and green onions. Pour in the dressing and toss well to coat. Divide among 4 plates to serve.