Roasting cauliflower by this method brings out and intensifies its natural sugars, and minimizes the cabbage-like flavor of this cruciferous vegetable.
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into bite-size florets (about 8 cups)
- 1 medium red onion cut in half then across in 3/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus oil for coating the baking sheet)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with oil.
- Combine the cauliflower, onion, oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking sheet. Roast until the cauliflower is browned and tender, 28 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the oven and transfer to a large bowl; stir in the cheese then pour the mixture back onto the baking sheet. Return to the oven and bake 3 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.