Dad will love this meaty, sweet and bacon-y breakfast treat. The sauce may be made ahead, but the sandwiches should be served hot out of the pan.
- 2 Large Eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 8 slices White bread firm
- 8 slices Gruyere or Emmentaler cheese about 4 ounces
- 8 slices deli-sliced ham about 8 ounces
- 4 slices deli-sliced turkey breast about 4 ounces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 slices Hickory smoked bacon
- 3/4 cup Maple syrup
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
Lightly beat the eggs, milk, mustard, and cinnamon in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Arrange 4 slices of bread on a work surface and top each with 1 slice cheese, 2 slices ham, 1 slice turkey, 1 slice cheese. Top each with the remaining bread.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip both sides and edges of 2 sandwiches into the egg mixture to coat. When the butter foams, add sandwiches to the skillet and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Wipe out skillet, melt remaining butter and repeat with remaining sandwiches and egg mixture. Serve with Bacon-Maple Sauce.
- Bacon-Maple Sauce
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 7 to 8 minutes. Place bacon on a plate lined with paper to drain; chop into small pieces.
- Add bacon and syrup to a small saucepan over low heat. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook 5 minutes. Keep warm.