Asian noodles, prawns and vegetables are given a sweet salty sauce and spooned into crisp lettuce leaves to enjoy with the hands. A wonderful dish to enjoy with a French Sancerre or Alsatian Dry Riesling.
- 1/2 cup Raw cashews
- 4 oz Vermicelli or cellophane noodles
- 1/2 Red pepper finely sliced
- 1/4 bunch Cilantro leaves separated
- 1 cup Bean sprouts
- 2 Green onions sliced
- 6 oz Shrimp or small prawns cooked
- 6 large Lettuce leaves butter, radicchio or iceberg
- 1 Lime juice
- 1 tbsp Rice wine
- 2 tsp Fish sauce
- 1 tsp Palm or brown sugar
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Place the cashews in a non-stick pan over medium heat and cook, shaking pan until golden and aromatic. Remove from pan and set aside
- Place noodles in a large heatproof dish and cover with very hot water. Allow to soak for 5 minutes, or until just softened. Transfer to a sieve, refresh with cold water and strain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles, pepper, cilantro leaves, bean sprouts, green onion and prawns.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss through the salad.
- Place mounds in lettuce cups and scatter with the cashews. Serve straight away, wrapping the lettuce leave around the salad to eat like a wrap.