Flavors of cinnamon, clove and pumpkin make this classic sweet bread a quintessential fall treat.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 can pumpkin (15 oz.) not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or mild-flavored olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts optional
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger finely chopped
- Yield: 1 9x5-inch loaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with butter or oil.
- Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, cloves and nutmeg in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin, sugars, oil and eggs. Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Add walnuts, raisins and ginger.
- Bake 60-70 minutes until a pick inserted in center comes out clean. (Cover lightly with foil during last 10-15 minutes if bread is very brown.) Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
This makes a moist bread. It will be very brown when baked until done in a 9×5 pan.